Frequently Asked Questions
1. What expenses other than rent will I need to pay?
Heat, trash removal, water, and basic cable TV are included in the rent. Tenants pay electric and phone bills and have the option of purchasing meals, transportation to medical appointments, garage parking, housekeeping, and personal care. You purchase the services that fit your needs.
2. I dont need any help but would like to socialize more now that I am not driving. What is available?
We encourage our tenants to use all of the building from the screened deck to the main lobby area. Church, bingo, cards, and games are some of the in-house activities. We take groups to community activities such as a Twins game, out to lunch, or to watch a play. We also offer regular transportation to shopping.
3. I can take care of myself but would benefit from some help with housekeeping. Can I just purchase the services I need?
We sell our services in 15-minute increments so you can purchase as little or much as you want/need.
4. I dont want to have to move twice. Do I have to move if I need some help?
We will bring the services to you whenever possible with the support of Mary T. Home Health and Hospice teams. We also have a continuum of care so if you should require 24-hour assistance or memory care, we can continue to care for you within our Mary T. community right on our campus, close to the friends you have made at Margaret Place.
1. What do I have to pay for in addition to rent each month?
You will also be responsible for heat, electric, and phone services. We have a reduced rate for our extended cable TV plus high-speed Internet access, and an activity fee that pays for access to exciting and interesting outings and events with our activity coordinator.
2. What is income-based rent?
Based on your annual income, we have two choices in rental rates. You may qualify for income-based rents if you fall within a governmental income guideline. If your income exceeds the governmental guideline, market rate rents will apply.
3. Can I bring my pet?
Yes. We are a pet-friendly community and have guidelines to ensure that all residents enjoy living at our Villas.
1. What can I bring with me?
We will supply a hospital bed, a dresser, and all linens and bedding. We want your room to feel familiar so feel free to add pictures, photographs, your favorite chair, TV, and any other small items that will complement your new home.
2. How is the building staffed?
We have an LPN/RN in the buildings Monday Friday. We have a nurse available to our staff, by phone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We have trained, awake staff 24 hours a day.
3. What is the difference between your assisted living homes and a nursing home?
We are a smaller, more home-like setting, licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health with a Class F license. Persons moving into our setting do not require 24-hour skilled nursing.
4. I dont want to move my family member twice. Will you ask them to leave at some point?
We strive to keep our residents in what they consider their home. With the support of Mary T. Home Health and Mary T. Hospice, we have been very successful in accommodating various levels of care through the end-of-life issues.